Lemon verbena & mint tea
- ½ c. fresh picked mint
- ¼ c. fresh picked lemon verbena
- 16 oz. hot water
- Steep the herbs in 16oz of hot water for 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately if desired hot. If desired cold—pour into a heat resistant glass bottle and place into a fridge until cool & serve.
Roast chicken salad
- 2 c. of lettuce
- 1 tbsp. finely julienned chives
- ½ c. roasted chicken
- 2 tbsp. herb dressing (recipe below)
- 2 carrots (Scarlett Nantes preferred – colored) sliced thinly with a peeler
- 2 tbsp. watermelon cukes (or shaved cucumbers if these are out of season)
- Salt, pepper, fresh lemon (juice) to taste
- ¼ c. chicken skin, crumbled (recipe below)
- 1 soft boiled egg
- For soft boiled egg: Bring egg in a pot to a boil, turn water down to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Remove w/ a slotted spoon and place into an ice bath. Remove shell carefully, and place into cold water until ready to use.
- Mix everything – minus the egg & chicken skin – to taste. Finish with these two ingredients as well as a bit of chive and finishing salt.
Roast chicken & skin
- One 3–4 lb. chicken
- Kosher (course) sea salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Sprigs of fresh thyme, rosemary
- 1 whole lemon
- Best to start this in the morning: Season chicken’s skin and a bit of the cavity with 3/4t kosher salt per # of chicken and pepper liberally. Place on a plate, stuff the interior with a lemon cut in two, thyme/rosemary & cover loosely. Put the plate in the fridge to “dry brine” for 5-8 hours.
- Take the plate out of the fridge, pat with paper towel to ‘dry’ and heat the oven at 475 (broil). Take a large 10 – 12” skillet, preheat over medium-high heat and place the chicken into the skillet when it is piping hot. You should hear the sound of a sear.
- Place into the center of the oven for 20 minutes. The skin should look brownish and at this point, baste the bird. 30 minutes in, turn the bird breast side down and roast for 10 minutes, turning the pan from front to back as well. Depending on size, flip the bird back over to continue crisping the entire skin. Total cooking time will be between 45 minutes and an hour – whenever the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°.
- Take chicken out of the oven and let it rest. When cool, pick chicken, conserving the meat and keeping the skin separate. Fry skin in 350° GMO-free canola oil, placing onto paper towel when crisp.
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 tbsp. chopped rosemary
- 3 tbsp. chopped tarragon
- 1 tbsp. chopped thyme
- ¼ c. chopped parsley
- 2 lemons (zest and juice)
- Chop garlic finely, add salt, and mix with the back of your knife, until it is a smooth paste. You will slowly add more salt, until it’s enough to draw liquid out of the garlic and create a paste.
- In a Cuisinart, drop the herbs and garlic paste in and chop. Then, keep the motor running, add zest and juice from two lemons and slowly whiz in enough olive oil for a dressing like consistency. Add salt, pepper and any more acid to taste.